Teaching Portfolio

Sunday, April 19, 2015


I was so happy to receive several email responses to my last post about applications and interviews. Many of you are curious about my teaching portfolio so I thought I would write a post with some specific details about my portfolio.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my portfolio only has five tabs. You can search for "teaching portfolio" on pinterest and numerous pictures and blog posts will appear. I spent some time looking at what other people have done and then decided what I wanted to do. I only chose five tabs because it is simple for me and it is simple for the interviewee. I feel like if there are too many tabs it can just be overwhelming. I wanted to create something that was useful for me to use during my interview. For example, when asked a question about classroom management or parent communication, I wanted to be able to flip to that tab and show specific examples and pictures of my classroom behavior plan and parent communication. It's important to remember that I am a special education teacher and so my tabs and topics may look different than the tabs and topics that a general education teachers would choose.


This tab includes my cover letter, resume, a copy of my credential, and proof of passing my "teacher" tests (in California we have several tests we have to pass). You might also include you the proof that you passed your TB test or any other special certifications that you have that pertain to the job.


This tab includes my weekly communication log, my IEP parent input form (download it here), an example of my "What are we learning? sheet, and a few other forms that I have used to communicate with parents throughout the year.



This tab includes a picture of my whole class behavior management system (you can purchase this system here). It also includes other examples of my behavior visuals. For example, I included a rotation card, a "first then" card, and a token economy card.









This tab includes sample lesson plans that I had written for my formal observation, visuals that I used for those lesson plans, a social story that I wrote, an example data sheet, and an example worksheet that I created.


This tab included my list of references and reference letters that I have collected throughout the years.

Note to new teachers, for my first round of interviews right out of the credential program, I did not have a teaching portfolio. Looking back, I wish that I would have put something together because it is so much easier to show and explain a system than it is to just explain it, especially when you are nervous. I know as a new teacher right out of the credential program you might not have a lot of forms and worksheets. Spend some time with your master teacher, looking at blogs, and on teachers pay teachers and collect some forms and worksheets that you imagine that you will use in you future classroom. They might not end up working for you or for your classroom, but you will at least be able to show your potential future employers that you have a vision for your classroom. If you have any questions or would like some worksheets or forms, please do not hesitate to email me.

Good luck to each and every one of you! Remember, show your passion and love for teaching. Knowledge and education is obviously important, but passion and love cannot be taught.

1 comment

Copyright Delightfully Dedicated: 2015. Powered by Blogger.